Monday, October 20, 2014

Weeks Four and Five- A Merry Life with Rodenden's

I am feeling more and more at home in Veles. Two birthdays (or Rodenden’s in Macedonian), a pita festival, and friendships through Body Jam classes have helped me anchor pride for my current city. My increasing language proficiency is also helping!

On October 1, the trainees in Veles came to my Ctavrevski household for some home-made American deliciousness, Macedonian drinks, games, and laughs.  My host mother, father, and brother worked with me in purchasing food, preparing food, and cleaning the apartment.  While I envisioned a mingling, snacking, drinking, slight dancing atmosphere, my host parents (rodenteli) set a table for 15! I roused the troops at the school and led them to my home. We sat, we ate, we drank, we played Uno with my rodenteli, and it was a lovely day of connecting home-life with my PCT community. 
The following Wednesday, we gathered in a similar way to celebrate another fellow volunteer’s birthday. These meals outside of the school and trainings helped make Veles home. In addition, hosting the other PCT communities in Veles for a weekend training - exploring the city’s national festival of PITA and seeing the other PCT communities observing Veles in awe- helped me see Veles with new eyes! (Pita is a pizza-like dish with cheese and meet and, in Veles, egg.) These shared experiences in birthdays and holidays deepen my comfort and sense of belonging here in Macedonia. Also, a fellow trainee and I, who often walk around the city together, made the mini trek across a footbridge and up the hill to a monument. A beautiful, structure embedded in a hill over-looking the city, this monument made for a mini-adventure and great conversation.



















Also, I now have an established schedule for teaching Body Jam in Veles.  Six to twelve students gather every Monday and Wednesday at 6:00 for a sweaty, fun, dance workout.  Applying my dance teaching skills helps me feel purposeful, and dancing with others makes me feel connected.  My students are becoming closer friends and allies in my exploration of Macedonian culture.


Truly, my greatest teachers and support are my rodenteli.  They continue to communicate in significant, relevant ways that teach me language and that help me express myself in Macedonian.  We dissembled about 75% of their garden/farm at their nearby village, Otovitza, home. Working side- by- side on the weekends makes our daily interactions that much more meaningful. Last night, I went to Oro dance practice with them. (The Oro is a traditional Macedonian dance.) My rodenteli are fantastic Oro dancers. The music is in 7/8 time, and they are light and rhythmic in the various dance patterns. I enjoyed the experience, mainly because I got to see them so essentially in their element.

This week we learn our site placements for the two years of service. We also found out more about the language proficiency tools used to chart our language learning, a big key to integration.  Life is moving along. More to come!   

No comments:

Post a Comment